Fair Pay for Southern California Nonprofits:
The 2023 Compensation & Benefits Survey
...the best survey of its kind.
Submit your organization’s data by February 17, 2023.
Attract and Retain the Best Employees for Your Organization in 2023 and Beyond
- Current, local data on more than 150 jobs
- Regional data relevant for Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Ventura and the Inland Empire
- Coverage includes urban, suburban and rural areas from coast to desert
- Organizations large and small surveyed
- Base pay levels and bonus/incentive pay for each job
- Details by annual operating budget, location within Southern California, number of employees and primary field of service
- Employee benefits: paid time off, insurance, retirement
- Salary increases past year and year ahead forecast
- Policies with respect to on-call work, overtime, shift differentials, pay for bilingual skills, introductory periods, performance reviews, DEI practices and more.
2023 Survey Calendar
See how the local nonprofit community is responding to current economic conditions.
Low unemployment, increased inflation and softening demand in some sectors of the economy are creating uncertain conditions for nonprofit managers as they make decisions about employee compensation and benefits policies.
- For what kinds of jobs are nonprofits having difficulty hiring and retaining employees?
- Are nonprofit employees working remotely, in person, or a combination of both?
- Are organizations planning to increase or decrease their workforces in 2023?
All Regions of Southern California Covered
The survey serves nonprofits in all 10 counties of Southern California. We gather data from both larger and smaller nonprofit organizations, as well as those from urban, suburban and rural counties.
What Nonprofit Managers Say About the Survey...
"Thankful for this survey! We used it last year to review all salaries and benefits. Excellent resource. It's already in our budget for next year!"
– Doug Morin, Executive Director
Coachella Valley Volunteers in Medicine
"Determining compensation is never an easy task. Access to an up-to-date, comprehensive guide as a reference has been instrumental for our organization. Having accurate data, defined by region, has allowed us to provide competitive offers to new hires and existing employees. We refer to the guide regularly and consider it a great value."
– Charles Cormany, Executive Director
Efficiency First California
"We have relied on the Fair Pay Report every year to determine how our salary ranges track to other organizations of similar size. It helps inform us on budgeting for raises and salary adjustments. Our organization has grown significantly over the last couple of years. In 2021 we did a full HR audit to ensure we are keeping up with trends. The Fair Pay report was so helpful. It was great to review how we stack up to other organizations for salary,job titles and descriptions, benefit packages, holiday and vacation time. We are beyond grateful that this data is collected annually and presented in such a useful way. It also helped us think about how to organize and present our recommendations to the executive team making decisions. Thank you!"
–Laurie Zerga, Finance and Operations Manager
"The California Fair Pay for Nonprofits survey is the gold standard for many nonprofit professionals looking to provide equitable compensation to our teams. For the last decade that I've been in HR, my colleagues and I have relied on the Fair Pay survey to ensure that what we are offering our staff is in line with the market and organizations of our size in the Bay Area. It is an invaluable tool in helping us communicate our compensation philosophy to our staff, as well as to our board, and has increased transparency in our compensation practices. With new upcoming pay transparency laws going into effect in 2023, this tool will be more essential than ever!"
–Wendy Deetz, Director of Human Resources
Huckleberry Youth Programs
"Thank you for helping prepare this. This information will be very important in ensuring we are valuing our people as best as possible with industry data."
–Wallace Chan, Chief Operating Officer
J.F. Shea Therapeutic Riding Center